Sniffle, sniffle. Achooo!
It’s the sound of flu season upon us once again.
Every year, flu activity spikes from December to February, which means everyone should take extra precautions to stave off illness. Here are five quick tips for staying healthy this year:
Related Post: 7 Tips to Prepare for Flu Season
1. Wash your hands … a lot – Sounds simple, but soap and water are the constant companions of doctors and nurses for a reason.
2. Get steamed up – Flu viruses love dry air, like during the winter months, so try a humidifier. As a perk, they naturally relieve congestion!
3. Don’t skip Vitamin D – Also known as the sunshine vitamin, it regulates the immune system to help fight off sickness.
4. Grab some Zzzs – Fatigue can make your body more vulnerable to attack so be sure not to skip your shuteye.
5. Get a flu shot – Though not a 100% guarantee, getting vaccinated as early as possible significantly lowers your chance of getting sick.
Related Post: 7 Foods That Will Have You Feeling Good
If you do get the flu, be careful not to infect others around you. Most healthy adults may be able to give others the virus one day before symptoms develop and up to 7 days after becoming sick.
If you want more ways to combat the flu, you can also try 30 days of cold and flu prevention or the three recommended actions from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.