Open enrollment

Open Enrollment is Over. Let’s Look at Some Options Still Available

For workers or anyone that can no longer open enroll, there are a few options still available that will provide coverage.

Special Enrollment Period does have special enrollment periods that may be triggered on an individual basis. These periods can be triggered by the following:

• Household changes, such as a divorce, marriage, adopting or having a child

• Change of residency to an area that no longer offers the same insurance

• Loss in coverage

• Legally obtaining US citizenship

If you enter into service or exit for the AmeriCorps, NCCC or VISTA, you may be able to enter into special enrollment. You can also qualify if you become recognized or granted membership to a tribe under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.

Qualifying for special enrollment will require you to fill out an application that will verify your claims and allow you to take advantage of special enrollment periods.

State-Run Exchanges

Most states had their exchanges end on January 15, but it’s essential to see if your state has a different deadline. Some states kept their enrollment open even longer, and Idaho was the only state not to extend its deadline.

While you might have missed these exchanges in 2022, they can be extended during any year.

Medicaid and CHIP Options

Medicaid and CHIP programs are open to Native Americans all year long. However, if you’re not Native American, certain qualifying events will allow you to enroll for either of these insurance options.

For example, you may qualify if you:

• Lose coverage

• Move to an area with different insurance options

• Become a legal citizen

• Adopt or birth a child

• Get married or divorced

If a trigger event occurs, act as swiftly as possible to secure your health insurance coverage.

Medicare Special Enrollment

Medicare also has its own special enrollment periods that you may qualify for, depending on eligibility. The initial period begins when you either reach the age requirement of Medicare or become disabled and lasts for a period of seven months.

Fall enrollment is also an option and lasts from October 15 to December 7.

Otherwise, you may be able to enroll under the general enrollment period, which runs from January 1 to March 31. During this period, you can apply for Medicare Part B. If you want to apply for Part C or D, this period will be from April 1 to June 30 and will begin on July 1.

Short-term Plans

Depending on the state where you live, short-term insurance plans may be offered. Federal regulations allow many short-term plans, with renewals, to last up to 36 months. Unfortunately, some states do have rules that are restrictive and may prevent you from obtaining a plan.

If you missed open enrollment, it’s worth seeing if a short-term plan is available in your state.

Open enrollment comes around every year. If none of the plans above fit into your needs, you’ll need to wait until the next enrollment period, which starts in November.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: